• 1 5-6 pound/2.5 kg pork shoulder
• 1 tablespoon/15 mL kosher or sea salt
For the Rub:
• 2 tablespoons/30 mL light brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons/30 mL whole black peppercorns
• 2 teaspoons/10 mL mustard seed
• 1 teaspoon/5 mL paprika
• 1 teaspoon/5 mL garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon/5 mL onion powder
For the Glaze:
• 1/2 cup/120 mL Bourbon
• 1/2 cup/120 mL Cola
• 1/2 cup/120 mL light brown sugar
• 1 small onion, pureed
• 1/4 cup/60 mL ketchup
• 1/4 cup/60 mL corn syrup (preferably dark)
• 2 tablespoons/30 mL brown mustard
1. To make rub, place peppercorns and mustard seed in a coffee grinder. Pulverize into a medium grind and place in a small bowl. Add
remaining rub ingredients.
2. Season pork shoulder all over with the rub, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 12 to 15 hours.
3. Remove roast from the fridge and let the meat stand at room temperature for 30-45 minutes before grilling. Season with kosher salt right
before going onto the grill.
4. While roast is resting, whisk ingredients for glaze in a medium bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
5. Preheat the grill and follow instructions for using the rotisserie. Secure roast on rotisserie rod and cook over direct low heat for 3
to 4 hours. The internal temperature should be at least 145 F (63 C) when done.
6. After the first hour of cooking, apply glaze every 20 minutes for the remainder of cook time. Remove roast from the rotisserie, cover
with foil, and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Leave a Reply